Favorite Quotes By Bruce Lee

Remember, success is a journey, not a destination. Have faith in your ability. You will do just fine. ~ Bruce Lee

Research you own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own. ~ Bruce Lee

Whenever I look around, I always learn one thing and that is: always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself. ~ Bruce Lee

The greatest mistake is to anticipate the outcome of engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory of in defeat. Let nature takes its course and your tools will strike at the right moment. ~ Bruce Lee

You have to create your own luck. You have to be aware of opportunities around you and take advantage of them. ~ Bruce Lee

Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to exert greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing, it is a path leading to success and truth. ~ Bruce Lee

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Deciding to Compete

Many of you know that I have been working on my health and fitness for several years.  Growing up I was always thin and athletic.  However things changed for me when I met someone who lets say was toxic to and for me. I gained a ton of weight over 50 pounds and my self-confidence decreased the longer I stayed in that relationship.  Once I was able to end that relationship and regain control of my life, I started to get healthy inside and out. After lots of hard work I had lost about 35 pounds and kept it off for several years.  

When I met my current boyfriend (who by the way is an amazing man, I love him so much), I was in graduate school completing two masters degrees.  As many of you know that your schedule changes when you start a new relationship (well at least mine did), so unfortunately even though things in my life were great, I started to gain the weight I lost back because I didn't commit the time to the gym and healthy eating that I previously was.  This was disappointing but not something I focused on right away.  However for the past three years I have been focusing on my health and fitness and have lost again 26 pounds.  Currently, I am only 9 pounds away from where I was when I met my boyfriend, Kirk.  

My journey has been filled with struggles. I lose weight, gain some back and then stabilize, lose weight, gain it back and then stabilize, repeat.  I am glad to say this past year I have lost and kept off 18-20 pounds and it feels great!!   For the past several years I have been talking about wanting to compete with some of my friends.  I have read Oxygen Magazine for several years and have been desiring to have a fitness model body, however I haven't pushed myself to actually do it until now.

So why now????  Well I have this awesome friend who I look up to and see as a role model for her dedication to fitness.  She recently competed in a competition and I told her I wanted to do it.  So when she found out about an upcoming competition, she sent me the information.  Here I am presented with the perfect opportunity to walk to my talk, put my words into actions, and finally do what I have been saying is a goal of mine.  In fact, every year I write a list of goals for the year and for several years one of my goals had been to compete in a figure competition.    

Another reason to compete is that I am a trainer at my gym and studying to become a Certified Mind Body Fitness Coach.  Conquering one of my fitness goals is important to me for that reason.  Plus it will help me be a more effective trainer once I move further on my own personal journey.  I will be able to help others succeed at their journey.

Finally, one of my other main reasons for choosing right now as the time to do it is to finally shed all the unwanted toxins from my previous relationship meaning the excess weight and weak self image.  Although my self image has improved greatly since that relationship ended.  For me shedding those extra pounds that I gain from it will be like finally getting back to who I was before I was in that damaging and toxic relationship.  Not just mentally but physically too, which is important to me since who I was all through my childhood and most of high school was tied to being fit and healthy.  

For me competing is about getting back to the healthy and fit me.  The me who feels sexy all the time, proud of myself, confident in my ability and successful.  Especially the me who is the doer not the talker.  The coulda, woulda, shoulda time is over. Now it is time to "JUST DO IT!!!"

So for all these reasons I have decided to compete in a figure competition in April 2012, right before I turn 36.  This is about proving to myself that I can do whatever I put my mind to and being successful in order to be able to help more people in the future meet their own health and fitness goals.     


I can definitely use your support through out my journey so please continue to follow my blog.  My hope is that it may also inspire some of you to achieve goals that you have wanted to but just not dedicated the time to. Thank you again and I look forward to sharing my experience with you.   

The above picture is from Hawaii, May 1, 2011 - Here I weighed about 200 pounds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment